Learn how to ship items to local and overseas Military Bases that have security restrictions using Infoplus.
Due to security restrictions, USPS is the only carrier that can deliver mail and packages to APO/FPO/DPO locations. While carriers such as FedEx and UPS offer delivery to countries where military personnel may be stationed, packages from these private carriers cannot be delivered directly to a military base.
When entering the details to Create a Customer with a United States Military or diplomatic (embassy) address,
- Enter the customer Name in the following way:
-- For military (APO, FPO) addresses, use the full name of the customer, including a title if desired. The name must refer to a specific person. General addressees such as “Any Service Member” are not allowed.
-- For diplomatic (DPO) addresses, either a person’s full name or the word “Embassy” may be used. For a person, do not include a title.
- In the first Street field, enter the customer’s unit number, and also a box number if it is available. Example: “PSC 476 BOX 422”
- Enter one of the following for the City:
-- For Army/Air Post Office addresses, enter “APO”.
-- For Fleet Post Office addresses, enter “FPO”.
-- For Diplomatic Post Office addresses, enter "DPO".
- Select one of the following as the State, as shown below.
-- For AE addresses, use “Armed Forces Europe”.
-- For AP addresses, use “Armed Forces Pacific”.
-- For AA addresses, use “Armed Forces America”.
- Enter the Zip Code.
-- Always select “UNITED STATES” as the Country, even if the customer is located somewhere else.
- In the Residential field, select Yes or No to indicate if this is a residential customer.
- Enter information into the Carriers tab at the bottom of the screen.
- The Weight Break field is the weight limit (in pounds) which differentiates when to use a Package Carrier (smaller parcel) or a Truck Carrier.
- Many carriers will not accept shipments with United States Military or diplomatic (embassy) addresses. Before selecting a carrier for these customers, be sure to confirm that delivery will be possible. The U.S. Postal Service does accept shipments to the United States Military and diplomatic addresses. To see the options available for this carrier, type “USPS” into the carrier field.
- When finished, click Save. The Customer record will be created.
NOTE: Always select “UNITED STATES” as the Country, even if the customer is located somewhere else. If additional troubleshooting is needed, see Troubleshooting Shipping in Infoplus.